I recently had the great pleasure of indulging in Fashion Photography for the first time with fellow photographer Izaan Khan (whose work has been an inspiration to me), who arranged the shoot with Khushboo Kankan, made complete by lighting assistant Zeshan, along with stylists and makeup professionals.
I’ve been interested in shooting fashion for a while now – especially when I first saw the work of artists like Izaan Khan, Khushboo Kankan, Jitin Rathore (Make-Up Artist), Syam Nair (Stylist), Suhan Petwal (Assitant Stylist), and many others who made me realize how beautiful the human body can be, and how creative fashion can be as well.
To start off, I would like to thank Talent Factory ; which is now one of the leading talent and celebrity management agencies in Fashion and Entertainment Industry while providing a complete set of services ranging from grooming and nurturing young talent including models, actors & anchors, product endorsement services through celebrities and models, Shoot & Production to Advertisement & Digital Marketing Services; for their support and encouragement that helped me complete my debut venture into the field. They are based in New Delhi where the shoot happened in their own professional studio. According to me Talent Factory is one of the best modelling agency in delhi.
One of the first things I learned was the fact that Fashion Photography is a group effort and not a solo show of the photographer. Rather, it’s those working from behind the camera who are the ones with complete creative control, and the photographer is often the person who comes in second.
Also I was blessed to work with such a wonderful model, Khushboo Kankan, which helped me understand that an experienced model makes your job as a photographer extremely easy because she is well aware of the poses and knows how to position her body. My job as a photographer was majorly about focusing on composition, interesting perspectives, and capturing the ‘decisive moment’ as taught by Izaan Khan.
When I asked Izaan about his interests and his personal style quotient, he said he is generally drawn to people with interesting colours, textures, and a sense of personal style. So when it came to working with Khushboo, he already felt quite confident.
He used Nikon D-810 for the shot and most of it happened using the manual mode which helps in getting good exposure especially while clicking portraits and head shots.
One of the things I learnt was to try and focus on finding a simple yet interesting background, along with working the scene in different perspectives, some of which I shot while lying on the ground.
The first-time experience of shooting fashion was a learning curve that was more fun than frantic. I had tons of fun with the rest of the crew, learning that Fashion Photography is not that hard if you are clear about what you’re going to shoot. The difficult part is the logistics, which is about 90% of the entire process. And the rest 10% is about the actual shooting. But Izaan is one person who hates planning, as it restricts one’s creative flair and the ability to take risks.
The last thing is to always be a beginner. Always be eager to learn new things, stay humble, and know that the only thing worthwhile in life is growth, personal-discovery, and sharing your joy with others.